Friday 24 September 2010

Bishkek Beauties

5.30am - The call to prayer.

A friend once said to me, who has spent time in the East, that the call to prayer is a very comforting sound on the air. I tend to agree, but that is probably because we are both Theology graduates!!! One morning I am very tempted to rush down, and be a inconspicuous as possible, as I watch those of faith tipping through the doors of the mosque. Although I am tempted, the subconscious feeling of a spectator in a zoo comes into play, so I will just listen from my bed when it wakes me.

I have decided it is probably best to spend a few days in a new country/town before commenting on it, as like anywhere, there first few days you always feel like a fly trapped in a spiders web as you are trying to figure out which way is up, and which way is down.

Bishkek was described by one of the crew members to be like India, with a hell of a lot less people around, and it is certainly true, Bishkek is very quite. Another crew member who has been living here on and off for 2 years, said she feels as though everyone has gone on holiday since the pre revolution days, so I don;t know if it is in the impending lead up to these elections that everyone appears to be getting on with their day to day work, and keeping their head down.

In Bishkek, the women are fascinating, most women you pass to the right of you are in stilettos, covered head to toe in the latest fashion as they strut down the street. Purchasing their clothes from bazars, where Turkish brands are far superior to The Chinese hand me downs, the girls look like they are waiting for an invitation to swept of to the nearest principality, whereas the men, look as though they have just walked out of a betting shop in the UK!!

Then to the left of you, women are dressed head to foot in Islamic dress, the crew member who has lived here for the past two years, said you would never have seen a burka on the streets of Bishkek, but there is now an emphasis on Islam, with more Mosques in the planning stage to be built.

Ok, I am board of this blogging style, it is to wordy to get through and who wants wordiness when you just want facts, here we go...

2 comments:

  1. Hello Hello!
    It's your friendly american buddy :) It sounds like you are making the memories of a life time and a half :) I am seriously quite smuckers of you and the work that you get to do! I'm stuck in school attempting to escape the conformity of a dress code...alas my efforts are in vain. I hope you are having fun in your world of amazing opportunity!!! <3 !!
    -The K A B

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I just saw that you left a comment! Read the rest they get funnier! Miss you xxx

    ReplyDelete