Sunday 26 September 2010

The day the TKMAXX purchased Tommy Hilfigure sunglasses ... died!


I knew this day would come, as I packed my pelicase in the UK, the thought crossed my mind that my dear old friend, of three years, probably wouldn't make it past the first couple of days of the trip, and alas, my fleeting thought, became an omen.

As I lay the glasses, now in two pieces, into it's newly adapted burial chamber (previously glasses case) I thought back at the times together we had had. The flash backs of the initial ecstatic nature when my eyes first discovered said friend, waiting to que for the till while in line to purchase other products (red dress) in my third year of Uni in the Dundee TXMAXX. Oh how foolish I had been with my first fears as I qued to pay, my mind wandered, how I was dubious to wear them in public! Could I pull them off? Where they too big for my face? Did my nose really look THAT big with glasses perched on top of it ?!? -a fear that I still carry with me to this day. Would people mock me for my thought that I could potentially pull off a legit label and attempt strutting down the street with them on, in daylight too! But oh how all those anxieties disappeared, when those sunglasses stepped up to the plate, and proved, I too could wear a pair of "designer" sunglasses, that albeit the previous season, that a star, a rich investment banker, or a fashion conscious critter had also donned ( for about 200%of the price, so the sale lable informed me)! .... I was on the edge of "the club," hanging on by the skin of my teeth bare knuckled teeth, but I was there! I didn't mind that "the youth" mocked their lopsidedness, as my dear old friend became tired with age and maturity, I could see through the scratches and the dents that had formed on the lens due to the hardy nature of me warring them through sleet, snow and sun - and multi seasonal purpose wear them did I lots- and God damn it that was all that mattered! But as I painted a black panel to be attached to the black Tuk Tuk yesterday for our epic tea tracing trip, the scene of them tumbling to the floor from my face into two pieces, will for ever be ingrained on my memory.

Etched is the reminiscence, as I think of the sturdy UV Factor dear friend had, which will never be replicated, well not soon anyway, smooth was friend's upholstery, but like an old family car I have many a picture of me and my buddy, and in future years I will look back and reminisce at out times when we were together, happy, living.

When I arrive home in my week off in November, I shall find a plot in a tranquil garden somewhere, and lower the burial chamber in to the envelopes that is earth's sacred soil, and bid my friend adieu for the next life, as I place two coins under the lenses to ensure old friend safe passage to the next life.

But one thing is for sure, ohh how we lived!






Dear Old Friend
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
04/2007 - 09/2010


Rest in Peace now,
It's your time for a well deserved rest.

2 comments:

  1. So how a pic of the dearly departed perhaps perched? And, my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is one, as requested, but sadly perched on my head, the one on my nose that I have at hand is a tad poser ish, like sickeningly so! ha ha !

    ReplyDelete