Friday 24 September 2010

A Postcard From Bishkek



While washing up today I stuck my head out of the window, and have figured it out. The smell of Bishkek is like the fair ground when it arrives in town, heat, petrol, and a montage of sounds that transports you to being young again.


Looks; Bishkek reminds me of what I think Spanish resort towns looked like 20 yrs ago before it began build up for us Brits.


People; Lovely, I have become really fond of the girls working in the Office, and I intend to send them a few postcards when I am away, as without them this trip wouldn't be running so smoothly.


Transport; Lovely old 70's smelling cars, like the sort your Dad would buy when you are younger as he didn,t want to spend, "an arm and a leg" on the family car! But there are no filters so you feel as though you a trapped in a small room with a petrol engine! - not fun!


Food; Today is making me feel ill, v.fatty meat and carbs galore, but cutting portions down dramatically and sticking to black tea and boiled water will make a traveller of me yet!


My Transport; A sodding auto rickshaw, and boy am I awful! I always had images of me on a Honda motorbike, clad in leather, taking my helmet off like a Bond girl, blonde hair flowing down my back all slowmo like.... scrap that image and think, the clutch control of an over eager kid who has just discovered the keys to the family car while his parents are out. Dusty from all the dust of the road, AND greasy with a face like Toad from, "Wind in the Willow!" I jerked forward so hard over a pot hole that even two sports bra's won't help the lack of my suspension control! 


Hopefully the lack of agreeable food will lessen my, inherited from my Grandmother's, bosom! Control on clutch will eventually be resumed, and just a dusty/ dirty face will be my worries. But oh my ego is showing through now, "Sure I would lovvvvve to accept this job! Driving auto rickshaws from India to UK? No probs!! If I can drive a manual, I can do anything...!" How stunningly sodding British! 


Bacardi Party with the locals tomorrow - Bacardi o'clock anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment